Nullity orders


Steps to get an annulment (undefended procedure)

The undefended procedure applies when you both agree about getting the annulment.

Issue your application for an annulment

To apply for a nullity, you follow the same steps as when you apply for a divorce or dissolution. The only exception is that you use Form D8N – 'Nullity petition' (instead of Form D8 – 'Divorce/dissolution').

Attend court to give evidence

Unlike the undefended divorce/dissolution procedure, a court appearance may be necessary in annulment cases. It is therefore more complicated to get an annulment than it is a divorce or dissolution, even if your spouse or civil partner consents.

It is strongly recommended that you get legal advice during this process.

Apply for decree nisi/conditional order and decree absolute/final order

To apply for your decree nisi/conditional order and your decree absolute/final order, you follow the same steps as for Divorce or dissolution orders. However, for the nullity petition, your 'Statement in support' would be one of the following:

  • Form D80F – 'Statement in support of nullity petition – void marriage/civil partnership'; or
  • Form D80G – 'Statement in support of nullity petition – voidable marriage/civil partnership'.