Complaint to electricity distributor for failure to meet standards

Use this letter to seek compensation from an electricity distribution company (EDC) following an interruption to your supply. An EDC owns the electricity wires and cables that supply electricity to your premises. If you are unsure who your EDC is, contact your supplier.

If your electricity supply has been interrupted and not reconnected within 18 or 24 hours (depending on how many customers were affected) of the EDC becoming aware of it, the EDC must make a minimum payment under the 'Guaranteed Standards of Performance' set by the industry regulators, Ofgem (England, Wales and Scotland) and the Northern Ireland Authority for Utility Regulation (NIAUR).

For one-off incidents you must make a claim within 3 months of your electricity supply being restored. For persistent interruptions of 3 hours or more (i.e. 4 or more incidents in a 12-month period from 1 April to 31 March) you must make a claim within 3 months of the end of the 12-month period.

This document is suitable for businesses and consumers in the UK only.

  • The ability to draft your document using our simple questionnaire based process
  • No long winded forms to fill in; the document is created in front of you
  • Helpful legal information and guidance notes take you through the drafting process
  • You manage the development, completion and storage of your document

Law Guides

UK Legal advice guides for download

Download any of our expert legal advice guides online (PDF documents you can print). For assistance call Slater and Gordon Lawyers 24/7 on freephone 0808 175 8000 or contact us and we will call you. Specialist Solicitors are available in England, Scotland & Wales.

View and download Slater and Gordon legal advice guides